In June of 1891 a Mr. C. Nigel Stewart issued a circular stating that Leasowe Golf Club had been formed and that ‘suitable land for a links had been procured on Leasowe Common’. Mr. Stewart was our first Secretary.The letter came from Stand Farm, Hoylake that was a few yards from the first tee (now the 18th green) at Royal Liverpool. Further along Stanley Road was the Royal Hotel one room of which was the Clubhouse for the Members. The Landlord of this large hotel was Mr. John Ball whose son John Ball Jnr. had won the Open Golf Championship in the previous year. John Ball Jnr. became the first Captain of Leasowe Golf Club. He remained Captain for four years and had won the Amateur Championship seven times by 1912; taking time off to serve in South Africa during the Boer War.
The club's first captain was John Ball Junior, who was at the time probably the most famous and talked-about man in golfing circles as in the previous year 1890, he won the British Amateur Championships at Royal Liverpool (his home club), and followed this by winning the Open Championship at Prestwick. The following year he won the Amateur Championship at Sandwich and was runner up in the Open at Muirfield. In all he won the Amateur Championship eight times and was runner up twice. A unique achievement. In the early days Leasowe was a nine hole course near to Moreton lighthouse. Golf was only played on Saturdays and Mrs. Williams, England’s last Lady Lighthouse Keeper, generously allowed members in and supplied tea and buns. In August 1893 a Clubhouse was opened on the site of our present premises and a new nine hole course established.
The original nine holes became Moreton Ladies Golf Club and later, during the First World War, market gardens. Although the Leasowe course was extended later to 18 holes much land was lost to the sea. For instance the 1st tee, which was near the present 5th green faced out into what were sandhills and is now part of the sea defences. More land was lost when it was decided to straighten Leasowe Road.
Many alterations were made over the years and eventually land was obtained in the vicinity of Leasowe Castle, which dominates our course, and is very much a part of our general history. The land was held on lease until 1984 but the whole course is now fully owned by Leasowe Golf Club. This brief outline of our history would not be complete without mention of the awful fire of 1963, which destroyed the Clubhouse. By the strenuous efforts of Captains, Council and Members the Clubhouse was quickly replaced but thousands of memories and all our written records were lost that night.